Sunday 11 August 2013

Rumi

Love's secret is always lifting its head out from under the covers - "Here I am!" ~Rumi


Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? ~Rumi


Wear gratitude like a cloak and it will feed every corner of your life. ~Rumi


Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you. ~Rumi


Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along. ~Rumi


In your light I learn how to love. In your beauty, how to make poems. ~Rumi


Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself. ~Rumi www.onlineexamguide.com


God turns you from one feeling to another and teaches you by means of opposites, so that you will have two wings to fly - not one. ~Rumi


Don't grieve. Anything you lose comes round in another form. ~Rumi


Daylight, full of small dancing particles. Can you see them when I whisper in your ear? ~Rumi


Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. ~Rumi


Why are you so enchanted by this world, when a mine of gold lies within you? ~Rumi


There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the earth. ~Rumi


Stop the words now. Open the window in the center of your chest, and let the spirits fly in and out. ~Rumi


Why should I stay at the bottom of a well, when a strong rope is in my hand? ~Rumi


A secret freedom opens through a crevice you can barely see. ~Rumi


My head is bursting with the joy of the unknown. My heart is expanding a thousand fold. ~Rumi


As you start to walk out on the way, the way appears. ~Rumi


You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? ~Rumi


Become the sky. Take an axe to the prison wall. Escape. ~Rumi


Lightning, your presence from ground to sky, no one knows what becomes of me, when you take me so quickly. ~Rumi


How can I know anything about the past or the future, when the light of the Beloved shines only Now. ~Rumi


What I most want is to spring out of this personality, then to sit apart from that leaping. I've lived too long where I can be reached. ~Rumi


Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled, so wildflowers will come up where you are. ~Rumi


Ignorance is God's prison. Knowing is God's palace. ~Rumi


This world's existence is one night long. There's a great lively gathering that night, but some people sleep through it. ~Rumi


If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished? ~Rumi


There is a morning inside you waiting to burst open into Light. ~Rumi


Whosoever knoweth the power of the dance, dwelleth in God. ~Rumi


Out beyond ideas of rightdoing and wrongdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there. ~Rumi


Can you find another market like this?  Where, with your one rose, you can buy hundreds of rose gardens? ~Rumi


At night, I open the window and ask the moon to come and press its face against mine. Breathe into me. Close the language-door and open the love-window. The moon won't use the door, only the window. ~Rumi


The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you. Don't go back to sleep. ~Rumi


This is how we are with wine and beautiful food... we want and we get drunk with wanting, then the headache and bitterness afterward. ~Rumi


And don't think the garden loses its ecstasy in winter. It's quiet, but the roots are down there riotous. ~Rumi


...smiles come best from those who weep. Lightning, then the rain-laughter. ~Rumi


I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside! ~Rumi


The way the night knows itself with the moon, be that way with me. Or, alternately translated, Union is a raging river running toward the sea. Tonight the moon kisses the stars. O beloved, be like that to me. ~Rumi


In each moment the fire rages, it will burn away a hundred veils. And carry you a thousand steps toward your goal. ~Rumi


Before death takes away what you are given, give away what there is to give. ~Rumi


Now is the time to unite the soul and the world. Now is the time to see the sunlight dancing as one with the shadows. ~Rumi


Birdsong brings relief to my longing. I am just as ecstatic as they are, but with nothing to say. ~Rumi


Come, whoever you are! Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving. This is not a caravan of despair. It doesn't matter if you've broken your vow a thousand times, still and yet again come! ~Rumi


Isn't it time to turn your heart into a temple of fire? ~Rumi


Who gets up early to discover the moment light begins? ~Rumi


Your legs will get heavy and tired. Then comes a moment of feeling the wings you've grown, lifting. ~Rumi


All day I think about it, then at night I say it. Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing? I have no idea. My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.


This drunkenness began in some other tavern. When I get back around to that place, I'll be completely sober. ~Rumi


I cannot stop asking. If I could taste one sip of an answer, I could break out of this prison for drunks. ~Rumi


I am iron resisting the most enormous magnet there is. ~Rumi


You sit here for days saying, This is strange business. You're the strange business. You have the energy of the sun in you, but you keep knotting it up at the base of your spine. You're some weird kind of gold that wants to stay melted in the furnace, so you won't have to become coins. ~Rumi


You've gotten drunk on so many kinds of wine. Taste this. It won't make you wild. It's fire. Give up, if you don't understand by this time that your living is firewood. ~Rumi


Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love. ~Rumi


Work in the invisible world at least as hard as you do in the visible. ~Rumi


Rise up nimbly and go on your strange journey to the ocean of meanings.... Leave and don't look away from the sun as you go, in whose light you're sometimes crescent, sometimes full. ~Rumi


   

Keep walking, though there's no place to get to. Don't try to see through the distances. That's not for human beings. Move within, but don't move the way fear makes you move. ~Rumi


Take sips of this pure wine being poured. Don't mind that you've been given a dirty cup. ~Rumi


Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion. ~Rumi


There is a way of breathing that's a shame and a suffocation and there's another way of expiring, a love breath, that lets you open infinitely. ~Rumi


Keep knocking, and the joy inside will eventually open a window and look out to see who's there. ~Rumi


There's a hidden sweetness in the stomach's emptiness. We are lutes, no more, no less. If the soundbox is stuffed full of anything, no music.... When you're full of food and drink, Satan sits where your spirit should.... ~Rumi


The mind, this globe of awareness, is a starry universe that when you push off with your foot, a thousand new roads become clear, as you yourself do at dawn, sailing through the light. ~Rumi


Gamble everything for love, if you're a true human being. If not, leave this gathering. ~Rumi


Half-heartedness doesn't reach into majesty. You set out to find God, but then you keep stopping for long periods at meanspirited roadhouses. ~Rumi


No one knows what makes the soul wake up so happy! Maybe a dawn breeze has blown the veil from the face of God. ~Rumi


...a great God-wrestling does on inside these wanderers...


...the cypress tree is turning green, drunk with the forest. ~Rumi


Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and the stars mirrored in your own being. ~Rumi


...rush out in the rain to be soaked with the sky. ~Rumi


He is a letter to everyone. You open it. It says, Live. ~Rumi


Don't turn away. Keep your gaze on the bandaged place. That's where the light enters you. ~Rumi


Into my heart's night
Along a narrow way
I groped; and lo! the light,
An infinite land of day.
~Rumi


Love comes with a knife, not some shy question, and not with fears for its reputation! ~Rumi


Love is a madman, working his wild schemes, tearing off his clothes, running through the mountains.... ~Rumi


You've been walking the ocean's edge, holding up your robes to keep them dry. You must dive naked under, and deeper under, a thousand times deeper! ~Rumi


Don't put blankets over the drum! Open completely. Let your spirit ear listen to the green dome's passionate murmur. ~Rumi www.onlineexamguide.com


What does this patch-sewing mean you ask? Eating and drinking. The heavy cloak of the body is always getting torn. You patch it with food and other ego-satisfactions. ~Rumi


This is how I would die into the love I have for you: as pieces of cloud dissolve in sunlight. ~Rumi


That hurt we embrace becomes joy. Call it to your arms where it can change. ~Rumi


I don't regret how much I love, and I avoid those who repent their passion. ~Rumi


There is one way of breathing that is shameful and constricted.  Then, there's another way: a breath of love that takes you all the way to infinity.  ~Rumi


You must lance an ulcer to heal it. You must tear down parts of an old building to restore it, and so it is with a sensual life that has no spirit in it. ~Rumi


To change, a person must face the dragon of his appetites with another dragon, the life-energy of the soul. ~Rumi


When your love contracts in anger, the atmosphere itself feels threatening. But when you're expansive, no matter what the weather, you're in an open, windy field with friends. ~Rumi


Purify your eyes, and see the pure world. Your life will fill with radiant forms. ~Rumi


How will you know the difficulties of being human, if you're always flying off to blue perfection? ~Rumi


Where will you plant your grief-seeds? We need ground to scrape and hoe, not the sky of unspecified desire. ~Rumi


If you yearn for holy felicity, shed your arrogance and become a seeker of hearts. ~Rumi


If all you can do is crawl, start crawling. ~Rumi


This being human is a guest house. Every morning a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor. Welcome and attend them all! Even if they're a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still treat each guest honorably. He may be clearing you out for some new delight. The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in. ~Rumi


Sorrows are the rags of old clothes and jackets that serve to cover, and then are taken off. That undressing, and the beautiful naked body underneath, is the sweetness that comes after grief. ~Rumi


Let yourself become living poetry. ~Rumi


Don't knock on any random door like a beggar. Reach your long hand out to another door, beyond where you go on the street, the street where everyone says, "How are you?" and no one says How aren't you? ~Rumi


Is what I say true? Say yes quickly, if you know, if you've known it from before the beginning of the universe. ~Rumi


You are a fountain of the sun's light. I am a willow shadow on the ground. You make my raggedness silky. ~Rumi


You fill yourself with the sharp pain of love, rather than its fulfillment. ~Rumi


I do not know who lives here in my chest, or why the smile comes. I am not myself, more the bare green knob of a rose that lost every leaf and petal to the morning wind. ~Rumi


Something opens our wings, something makes boredom and hurt disappear. ~Rumi


Inside of us, there's a continual autumn. Our leaves fall and are blown out over the water. ~Rumi


If these poems repeat themselves, then so does Spring. ~Rumi


In this mob of I's inside, which one is me? Hear me out. I know I'm wandering, but don't start putting a lid on this racket. No telling what I'll do then. Every moment I'm thrown by your story. One moment it's happy, and I'm singing. One moment it's sad, and I'm weeping. It turns bitter, and I pull away. But then you spill a little grace, and just like that, I'm all light. It's not so bad, this arrangement, actually. ~Rumi


This love is the rose that blooms forever. ~Rumi


Put your thoughts to sleep, do not let them cast a shadow over the moon of your heart. Let go of thinking. ~Rumi


All religions, all this singing, one song. The differences are just illusion and vanity. The sun's light looks a little different on this wall than it does on that wall, and a lot different on this other one, but it's still one light. ~Rumi


If you knew yourself for even one moment, if you could just glimpse your most beautiful face, maybe you wouldn't slumber so deeply in that house of clay. Why not move into your house of joy and shine into every crevice! For you are the secret Treasure-bearer, and always have been. Didn't you know? ~Rumi


...my heart sinks like a comb into wave after wave of your silky hair. ~Rumi


And if you are a rose, I am rose-shadow. ~Rumi


I turn all thorn then, but you come back again and make my thorniness fragrant and pink and petaled. ~Rumi


Try another way of looking. Try you looking and the whole universe seeing. ~Rumi


Tonight the moon kisses the stars. ~Rumi


And even if this world burns up hidden harps will still play here. ~Rumi


Even when tied in a thousand knots, the string is still but one. ~Rumi


The garden of love is green without limit and yields many fruit other than sorrow and joy. ~Rumi


Be a lamp, or a lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone's soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd. ~Rumi


Dance in the middle of fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you're perfectly free. ~Rumi


Only from the heart can you touch the sky. ~Rumi www.onlineexamguide.com


When you do things from your soul you feel a river moving in you, a joy. When action come from another section, the feeling disappears. ~Rumi


If you could untie your wings and free your soul of jealousy, you and everyone around you would fly up like doves. ~Rumi


I am a drunkard from another kind of tavern. I dance to a silent tune. I am the symphony of stars. ~Rumi


The wound is the place where the Light enters you. ~Rumi


Be occupied, then, with what you really value and let the thief take something else. ~Rumi


I want your sun to reach my raindrops, so your heat can raise my soul upward like a cloud. ~Rumi


Come sit with me! Let us drink the holy wine of happiness. ~Rumi


You go from village to village on your horse asking everyone, "Has anyone seen my horse?" ~Rumi


The ocean of the body crashes against the ocean of the heart. Between them is a barrier they cannot cross. ~Rumi


Burdens are the foundations of ease and bitter things the forerunners of pleasure. ~Rumi
    

No comments:

Post a Comment